The new owners of a 152-year-old Mudgee building plan to restore the former warehouse and convert the interiors into two apartments.
David and Clarissa Mort and John and Helen Wood were the successful bidders for the property at 1 Lewis Street at an auction on Saturday.
The auction was conducted by The Property Shop on half of S & G Birchall, operators of the former Tyrepower business.
The new owners paid $800,000 paid for the property.
Restoration will be project managed by Planned Environment Pty. Ltd. Architects,and is expected to take two years to complete.
The 1864 building was built for the Dickson family who were prominent merchants in the Mudgee district during the 1800s.
An article published in 1864 in the Illustrated Sydney News stated:
“This establishment is situated...in the rising town of Mudgee and as an instance of the successful results of private energy and enterprise, will bear favourable comparison with similar business premises in any part of the colony.
“We notice with great pleasure the improved style of architecture which begins to obtain in our inland townships, and are glad to see premises which are at once ornamental and durable, superseding the more primitive structures of the interior.
“The firm in question is one of the oldest established in the Mudgee district, employing a large number of hands, and, in addition to the premises shewn, and others only partially depicted in our engraving, have been recently compelled, by the requirements of an extending business, to erect additional stores on the opposite side of the street, of the same solid and substantial description, and upwards of over 130 feet in length.
“It is in such healthy and well- regulated enterprise that we recognise the true wealth and well-being of a colony, and men who successfully carry with them into the far bush all their home instincts and habits of well-trained business activity and industry are deserving not only of the material benefits which naturally accrue, but of the thanks of the community at large
The Lewis Street property is listed as a heritage item under Mid-Western Regional Council’s Regional Local Environment Plan.
Despite its age, the building retains many of its original architectural features.