Youth Week ran from March 31 to April 9, and the Mid-Western Regional Youth Council have rated the events a success.
A range of activities were available throughout the ten day period, including a Youth Idol Contest and a ‘Battle of the Brains’ trivia night, a regular fixture in the Youth Week calendar.
While perennial trivia masters Mudgee High, represented by the SRC team from the school, claimed victory in the Battle of the Brains, it was still a fun evening for all involved.
The Youth Idol Contest, hosted at the Prince of Wales Opera House in Gulgong, also drew in a crowd, with Lara Stubbs named the overall winner.
Gemini Cheesewright was awarded 2nd, and Jack Egan and Jeremy Waters were 3rd for the evening, with Kaden coming in 4th.
A focus of the week was also a campaign titled ‘LOOK UP!’.
The LOOK UP! campaign's main focus is to urge young people in the community to leave their screens and participate in other activities to stimulate their body and their minds.
This campaign was spread to the schools around the region during Youth Week by the councilors.
Brody Mundy, the youth deputy mayor, said that he enjoyed the week, but revealed the council was disappointed more people didn’t get involved.
“Numbers could always be better for what we’re doing, but everyone who gets involved always says they really enjoyed it,” Brody said.
“Having the shopfront [on Market Street] gave us a great level of exposure, I think the more promotion we can get the better.
“A lot of young people in Mudgee complain that there isn’t anything for them, and then when we put these events on a lot don’t bother – we want to see more people coming out and attending each year.
“The more people that come to the trivia, contests and dodgeball, the more the week can grow.”
Art Contest Winners
Visual Art Junior:
- 1st – Shannon Odgers (KHS): Kandos Cement Works
- 2nd – Teleisha Besant (KHS): Another World
- 3rd – Maddie Morrissey (GHS): Half Face
Visual Art Senior:
- 1st – Yolanda Prentice (St Matthews): Rhianna
- 2nd – Katelyn Lewis Philips (KHS): Mother and Child
- 3rd – Elizabeth Cain (MHS): Hand Painted Horse
- 1st – Mackenzie Farrar (KHS): Imperfect Imperfection
- 2nd – Jade-Anne Hundey (MHS): Ocean
- 3rd – April Cain (MHS): My Garden Window
- 1st – Emma Keeley (KHS): Ripped Jeans
- 2nd – Emma Keeley (KHS): Cloudy Day
- 1st – Maree Ioane: Colourless World
- 2nd – Maree Ioane: Hope
- 3rd – Stella Hend: Buzz
Prizes and art works will be returned to schools.