THE Bureau of Meteorology has issued a warning for the Mudgee region about storms on Monday afternoon.
According to the www.bom.gov.au website severe thunderstorms are likely to produce heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding, large hailstones and damaging winds over the next several hours.
Locations which may be affected include Mudgee, Orange, Bathurst, Katoomba, Walgett and Dubbo.
The warning was issued at about 2pm on Monday.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
- Move their car under cover or away from trees.
- Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
- Keep at least eight metres away from fallen power lines or objects that may be energised, such as fences.
- Report fallen power lines to either Ausgrid on 131 388, or Endeavour Energy on 131 003 or Essential Energy on 132 080, as shown on your power bill.
- Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
- Don't walk, ride a bike or drive through flood water.
- Unplug computers and appliances.
- Avoid using the phone during the storm.
- Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.