A Central Coast man, who has previously been sent to jail for driving while disqualified, was given “a substantial fine” for another charge of the offence.
Luke Micheal Chalkley, aged 24, of Torrens Avenue, The Entrance, was fined $1650 and disqualified for a further 12 months in Mudgee Local Court on Wednesday.
At about 2.24pm on Saturday, June 2, 2018, Chalkley was driving along the Golden Highway at Cassilis when police spotted him exceeding the speed limit.
When he was stopped and questioned he eventually admitted that he was disqualified.
A check revealed that he was supposed to be off the road until 2022.
Chalkley’s solicitor, Mr Locker, said that his client’s partner had been driving but was feeling severe fatigue and he took over.
The court heard that in 2015 the defendant had been sentenced to three months in prison for driving while disqualified.
Magistrate David Day said that Chalkley has been assisted by changes to legislation that require more counts of the offence in order to be jailed.
And that “a substantial fine” would be imposed in lieu.
However, His Honour warned against re offending.
“I think if he does it again he’ll be going away for a long time,” Magistrate Day said.