A WOMAN and her three young children were taken to hospital following an overnight fire in their home on Monday.
Emergency services were called to a home on Inglis Street in Mudgee at 1.30am following reports of an electrical fire.
Fire and Rescue NSW Duty Commander Inspector Adam Wixx said that even though the fire was small it did produce a lot of smoke and the home’s occupants were left coughing.
“As a precaution the ambulance took the mother, her two sons and daughter to hospital for smoke inhalation,” he said.
The three children are all aged under 10 years old.
Inspector Wixx said the electrical fire was caused by the pump in a fish tank and he praised the woman’s quick actions which prevented the fire spreading.
The woman was able to turn off the power to the pump which resulted in the fire self-extinguishing.
“It was extinguished prior to our arrival by the occupants of the house,” Inspector Wixx said.
“As a safety message from Fire and Rescue NSW always check that electrical equipment is in good working order.
“If there is a fire turn off the power, but only if it’s is safe to do so.
“If you’re concerned at all of if it’s not safe to do so the best thing is just to get out [of the property].”