Eighteen teams took to Glen Willow on Sunday March 2 to play in the Mudgee Touch competition 2019 installment of grand finals.
Mudgee Touch spokesperson Ben Harris said the day was successful with a few surprises in the results.
“It was a pretty big day, a very successful one,” he said.
“There were quite a few close matches.
It was a bit of a surprise considering how dominant Col Matthews had been all season, but the Ori have a never say die attitude and they did well to knock Col Matthews off their perch.Ben Harris
The Col Matthews Motors and The Ori clash wasn’t the only game with a surprising result, as was the One Mob’s fight against the Woolpack Hotel men resulting in a 10-7 score, One Mob’s way.
“They had to play sudden death finals for the last three weeks, so for them to come out and win the whole competition from fourth was a bit of a surprise,” Harris said.
This is the fourth year in a row the grand final has been on a weekend, rather than on a Tuesday or Thursday night, and Harris says the change is a benefit.
“It’s a nice way to end the season.”
We wanted to celebrate our competition, to celebrate the season so we have it on a weekend instead.
Grand final results:
- Women’s Division 1 - Mackander Shearing 6 to Funk Fitness 3
- Women’s Division 2 - Young Guns 12s 5 to McGrath 3
- Men’s Division 1 - Col Matthews Motors 8 to The Ori 7
- Men’s Division 2 - One Mob 10 to Woolpack Hotel Men 7
- Men’s Division 3 - Power Rangers 7 to ADL Men’s 5
- Mixed Division 1 - The Property Shop 10 to Woolpack Mixed 1
- Mixed Division 2 - CWTT Hay and Produce 9 to QMS 6
- Mixed Division 3 - Hill Billy’s 9 to The Shed Company 3
- Mixed Division 4 - Mudgee Embroidery 9 to Stoddart’s Mixed 5
Mudgee Touch will kick off again in October for the start of next season.
“We just want to thank our Touch Football community for another successful year,” Harris said.