A Cassilis man found guilty of using his vehicle to menace a cyclist in Mudgee, will appeal the sentence handed down in local court last Thursday.
Jacob Lee Halden, aged 43, was convicted, placed on a two-year Community Corrections Order and disqualified from driving for 12 months.
At about 9.30am on Wednesday, May 2, 2018, Halden was driving east along Horatio Street, Mudgee, to where he was working at the time in Kandos, in a rental vehicle.
In the transcript of the interview with police submitted to the hearing, he said that he was stuck behind two cyclists travelling at around 30km/h and gave "a little toot" to try and get them to move aside.
Halden drove alongside them and began yelling and arguing through the window.
He then claimed that the victim grabbed the vehicle's tray as he overtook them, before he stopped and continued arguing about the amount of space they're entitled to.
When he contacted the rental agency that owned the vehicle they confirmed that a complaint had been made.
During the interview police put it to him that the victim said that the cyclists had made room to pass by riding in single file, even though there was already sufficient space. And that the accused veered towards the victim and that he grabbed the tray to avoid going under the vehicle.
Halden denied these claims during the interview and pleaded not guilty to the charge 'Knowingly drive vehicle in manner menaces other'.
However, the offence was proved at hearing at Mudgee Local Court on Tuesday, April 16, and he was subsequently sentenced on the Thursday.
He has lodged an appeal against the severity of the penalty, which has been listed for Dubbo District Court on Wednesday, June 19, 2019.