POLICE have confirmed the man facing court on an assault charge was the father of the baby who died in the wake of the incident.
Central West Police District crime manager Detective Inspector Bruce Grassick said police would allege the 21-year-old man struck the 19-year-old woman at least twice during the car trip from Queensland to Condobolin on Sunday.
"On one of those occasions, we will allege he has struck the female in the ribs," he said.
"They were on their way to Condobolin to start a new life, from we understand, so it's a tragic set of circumstances, not only the actual assault on this female, but unfortunately it's resulted in the loss of their child."
Insp Grassick said the mother was coming through the situation "quite well" physically, but emotionally required support and remained in hospital.
"That's being provided by medical staff and police," he said.
Asked whether police intended to lay further charges, Insp Grassick said at this stage, the grievous bodily harm charge was the most appropriate, which carried a maximum of 15 years' jail if convicted.
The Central Western Daily understands further charges would depend on whether the baby drew breath and had a heartbeat.
A MAN will appear in court on Wednesday after he was charged with a domestic assault of a pregnant woman and the subsequent death of her baby.
Officers from Central West Police District were called to Orange Health Service on Tuesday, following reports a 19-year-old woman, who was 21 weeks pregnant, had been assaulted and lost the child.
Police were told the woman initially presented at Condobolin District Hospital feeling unwell on Sunday before returning the following day in distress.
But as the woman and her partner travelled to Orange for further treatment, the woman gave birth in the car.
On arrival, hospital staff assessed the woman and baby girl, who was declared deceased.
Inquiries revealed the man and woman had been involved in verbal arguments while travelling by car from Queensland.
Police alleged during the journey, the man assaulted her on a number of occasions.
The 21-year-old man was arrested and taken to Orange Police Station, where he was charged with reckless grievous bodily harm and contravening a prohibition or restriction in an AVO.
He was refused bail to appear at Orange Local Court.
Investigations are continuing with detectives awaiting the results of a post-mortem examination.
DO YOU WANT MORE MUDGEE NEWS?
- Receive our free newsletters delivered to your inbox, as well as breaking news alerts. Sign up below ...