SIX new cases of COVID-19 have been confirmed in the Western NSW Local Health District, bringing the total to 21.
Confirmed cases have been reported in the Bathurst, Blayney, Cabonne, Cowra, Dubbo, Mid-Western and Orange local government areas.
All cases notified were diagnosed after travelling overseas or being in contact with a confirmed case.
A statement from the LHD said that in all cases, contacts have been followed up and tested where appropriate.
"The people involved have either entered home isolation or have completed home isolation. NSW Health wishes to thank all those individuals for their co-operation," the statement read.
"Any new case and their close contacts will similarly be asked to self-isolate unless hospitalisation is required. Those affected are contacted every day to check that they are well.
"All travellers returning or arriving from overseas must self-isolate for 14 days. This applies to everyone, even if you have no symptoms. Please follow the home isolation guidance."
NSW Health is continuing to trace and respond to cases as they are diagnosed to slow any spread of COVID-19 in the community.
To help protect the community people are asked to:
- Clean your hands thoroughly for at least 20 seconds with soap and water, or an alcohol-based hand rub.
- Cover your nose and mouth when coughing and sneezing with tissue or a flexed elbow.
- Avoid close contact with anyone with cold or flu-like symptoms.
- Atay home if you are sick.
- Keep your distance from others as much as possible through social distancing.
For advice and information about COVID-19 visit www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectious/diseases/Pages/coronavirus.aspx
The three new cases were confirmed by Dubbo electorate MP Dugald Saunders on Tuesday afternoon who said NSW Health was working with those people and anyone who may have been in contact with these people to try and minimise the spread of the virus.
Mr Saunders said there will be no breakdown of the towns that these people are in for a very specific reason - privacy and safety.
"Given people's behaviour over things like toilet paper, it poses a very significant risk to people who have been diagnosed," he said.
Mr Saunders said in other parts of NSW people with the virus had been threatened by members of the public.
"There are too many whispers going on where people are grabbing a piece of wrong information and spreading it," he said.
READ MORE: Let us know you're open for business
A Western NSW Local Health District spokeswoman explained that anyone who had come into contact with a confirmed COVID-19 case will be contacted.
Mr Saunders also confirmed that a passenger on board Qantas flight QF2046 from Sydney to Dubbo on March 20 had returned a positive test to COVID-19.
"I understand that this will scare people. This crisis is growing by the day and the response needs to be fluid," he said.
"I understand this is a reality check for some people, but this thing [virus] has no borders."
Mr Saunders urged people not to panic or "vilify anyone who may have the virus".
"We do need to be vigilant when it comes to the measures announced this week, and any further measures that may be announced in the future, and take the virus seriously," he said.
"Using the common sense measures that have been spoken about, such as washing hands, practising social distancing and the like, will help us help each other.
"We will get through this but we need everyone working together and responding to the information provided."
The Dubbo electorate covers the townships of Dubbo, Narromine, Wellington and Mudgee.
We have removed our paywall from our stories about the coronavirus. This is a rapidly changing situation and we want to make sure our readers are as informed as possible. If you would like to support our journalists you can subscribe here.