The NSW Rural Fire Service (NSW RFS) is calling on residents of the Mid-Western Region to take part in 'Get Ready Weekend' by joining volunteer firefighters - or heading online - and preparing for the upcoming bush and grass fire season.
Various NSW RFS brigades will be conducting activities both within the community and through social media this upcoming weekend to offer important information and advice to residents about the actions they can take to prepare themselves, their family and their property in the event they are impacted by a fire.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Cudgegong District and local brigades will also be holding events via social media and posting easy to follow information about bush fire preparation on their Facebook and Instagram accounts. This way residents will be able to take part in Get Ready Weekend at a time and place that is convenient for them.
Superintendent Troy Porter said that with the memories of the last summer's tragic fire season still fresh in the minds of NSW residents it has never been a better time to have a discussion about your Bush Fire Survival Plan.
- No early start to bush fire season in Mid-Western Region, perfect time to 'Get Ready'
- Made it big: Dunedoo silo art honours town's favourite son Bowman and Winx
- 'Why would you bring cannabis to Mudgee? There's enough here', Magistrate
- 'Enriching the visitor experience': Kandos Museum's coffee boost getting closer
"Despite the recent rainfall and last season's fires residents should not be complacent, there is still serious potential for bush and grass fires to start and spread quickly in our area," he said.
"The Mid-Western area was left largely untouched during last year's fire season and conditions can and will change during the upcoming months. It is vitally important that residents take the opportunity now to prepare their properties and make a plan."
Get Ready Weekend will be held on September 19 and 20, but if you cannot attend an event don't let this prevent you from making contact with your local brigade or visiting the NSW RFS website orthe Cudgegong District Facebook page for more information about what you can do to prepare for a bush fire.
Events in Mid-Western Region for Get Ready Weekend and beyond:
- Mudgee HQ Brigade, September 19-20, online event at facebook.com/NSWRFSMudgeeHeadquarters;
- Gulgong DC Brigade, 10am-2pm, Saturday, September 19, Gulgong RFS Station, 45 Rouse Street, Gulgong;
- Hargraves Brigade, 10am-2pm, Sunday, September 20, Hargraves RFS Station, 16 Lindsay Street, Hargraves;
- Grattai Brigade, 9am-12pm, September 26-27, information points in the local area.