An estimated one million students are sitting NAPLAN exams this week, children in Years 3, 5, 7 and 9 tackling the controversial standardised testing.
It's likely there are many other parents in the same position as I, with both my daughters (Years 3 and 5) sitting the tests that began Tuesday and continue through the week.
Thankfully they don't seem too stressed by it all - perhaps that may change after day one - but given the questions raised over NAPLAN for years now, it's a wonder such testing even continues to be implemented.
NAPLAN doesn't appear designed to assess individual student capabilities, but instead give aggregated rankings of whole school performances.
While this might be beneficial to governments trying once again to limit or direct spending on our education system, it does little for student and teacher wellbeing, which I'd argue is more important than ever these days.
I'm confident that my daughters' teachers have their students' best interests at heart, and I'd like to think that of all teachers. They don't need a test like NAPLAN to tell them what works best with each of their students, how fostering a sense of belonging and self worth means more to developing young minds than being able to perform well in an exam.
Educational leadership lecturer at Monash University Fiona Longmuir said the disrupted education experiences of 2020 - and consequently NAPLAN's absence last year - should have sounded its death knell.
"Belonging and connection underpin achievement - not measurement," Dr Longmuir says.
She also says equity issues resulting from school choice, competition and funding are exacerbated by programs such as NAPLAN.
Associate Professor David Curtin from Flinders University says NAPLAN "lacks precision for reporting individual student achievement, but when aggregated, does have adequate precision for monitoring purposes".
However, he goes on to say that school factors account for only around 20 per cent of the variation between students, with non-school factors accounting for the remaining 80 per cent.
"Therefore schools with low average achievement should not be blamed for it and schools with high average achievement should not take the credit for it."